Temple Grandin
Over the last seven years I have been fortunate enough to work with many Children with Autism. During that time I was able to incorporate many of Temple Grandin's ideas into my practice, including the use of visual supports. I've found her insights particularily useful for clients that are non-verbal because picture communication systems can often be used as a stepping stone to verbal communication. It is especially rewarding when a client is able to relieve their frustration using picture communication.
I also feel very strongly that Temple Grandin's work allows people connect with people who have Autism. She shows, through her writing, not just how people with Autism think, but more importantly their amazing abilities. Temple has always focused on what people with Autism can do, rather than what they can't do, and her enthusiasm is a source of hope for a group of people that often are seen as having a "poor prognosis".
R:)
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ditto to all of the above!
ReplyDelete